An Australian traveller with COVID-19 has prompted the return of level two restrictions to New Zealand's capital.
The person was in Wellington from Saturday, June 19 to Monday, June 21, having travelled there under the bubble arrangement.
On the Saturday, the person went to the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa.
Quarantine-free travel from New South Wales to New Zealand had already been temporarily suspended due to the rising case numbers in Sydney, and will last at least 72 hours.
"These people need to undertake testing as detailed by the Ministry of Health".
"I expect they were friends that the people were visiting or they spent time with here", Dr Bloomfield said.
"The well-being of our visitors and our staff is of the utmost importance", Ms Johnson said.
"This variant of concern means that you can start to become more infectious to people earlier on, so we know that you're very infectious with any variant or wild strain at about day 5 when you become symptomatic but certainly from day 3 onwards you can of course still infect people", McLaws said.
Four close contacts have been identified in relation to the case's movements while in Wellington itself.
"This is a reminder we need to upgrade our alert-level situation".
People can socialise in groups of up to 100, go shopping, or travel domestically if following public health guidance.
The traveller case has also prompted New Zealand health officials to consider a lockdown in Wellington, with authorities saying the person likely visited several popular tourist locations in the city.
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - After enjoying almost four months without any community transmission of the coronavirus, New Zealanders were on edge Wednesday after health authorities said an infectious traveler from Australia had visited over the weekend.
Check latest locations of interest in Sydney on the NSW Health site.
Wellington's Sky Stadium in Wellington, New Zealand.
Two flights have been identified as potential transmission sites: Qantas QF163, departing Sydney at 7.05pm on Friday June 18 for Wellington, and Air New Zealand NZ247, departing Wellington at 10.13am on Monday June 21 for Sydney.
Covid-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins said quarantine-free travel from New South Wales to New Zealand would be paused for 72 hours from midnight Tuesday while the source of infection of the new Covid-19 cluster in Sydney was investigated.
He said a lockdown or wider mask use are options on the table.
Four people have been deemed close contacts, with that number expected to rise, he said.
The Australian state yesterday recorded 10 new cases of Covid-19, and new exposure sites there have been announced.
New Zealand's health ministry contact tracing team had been in touch with the airlines about contacting passengers on these flights to provide advice.
The Health Ministry spokesman said genome sequencing was now under way in Australia to see if the case was linked to the current outbreak in Sydney.