The Ontario Coalition Against Poverty (OCAP) and the Shelter and Housing Justice Network (SHJN) say that more shelter spaces are needed to "allow for social distancing and physical isolation" and protect the homeless from contracting the virus.
This is the highest single-day jump that Ontario has seen so far in new cases.
"We extend our honest condolences to the family and friends of the individual who died this weekend", said Dr. Eileen de Villa, Toronto's Medical Officer of Health, in a statement.
"We extend our honest condolences to the family and friends of the individual who died this weekend".
Public health officials are stressing that everyone should maintain self-distancing, keeping at least two metres from others, washing hands frequently and staying home for everything but essentials like grocery shopping.
A Milton man in his 50s died of the virus last week.
The individual, a man in his 70s, travelled to the United Kingdom prior to his death.
"That is why it is so important that we all continue to do everything we can to stop the spread of COVID-19".
A woman in her 70s in the Kingston area who's now in hospital.
It's unclear where the woman contracted the virus, since the province says the provenance is still pending.
After being picked up at the airport by her son and daughter-in-law, she collapsed in their home in Toronto a few hours later and died.
Premier Doug Ford, along with Social Services Minister Todd Smith and Finance Minister Rod Phillips, are expected to make the announcement at 12:30 p.m. today from Queen's Park - the command centre for the province's COVID-19 response. Both the son and the daughter-in-law are in self-isolation, he said.
Dr. Karim Kurji, York Region's Medical Officer of Health, said the woman returned to Toronto from Los Angeles while also having visited France and Tahiti.
BC still has the most cases confirmed of any province or territory in Canada with 424 cases reported as of yesterday, 10 deaths in the province and six recoveries. In the U.S. New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said the government is "literally scouring the globe looking for medical supplies".
Markham Mayor Frank Scarpitti is calling for the provincial and federal governments to close all non-essential businesses over COVID-19 concerns. Please if you've travelled recently, #StayHome and keep the community safe.
4 A.M. There are now more than 300,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 worldwide, according to a running tally by Johns Hopkins.
As of 11:00 am on March 23, Ontario is reporting 503 cases of the novel coronavirus in the province.
On the Ontario list published this morning, seven of the new 47 cases include information such as the health unit where the person was tested and the age and gender of the person. The 40 other cases' locations are listed as "pending".
Three new deaths were announced yesterday - a Toronto man in his 70s, a woman from York region who was also in her 70s and a man from the Haliburton area in his 80s. Two patients were in close contact with another patient and are self-isolating.