Police allege a man plotted to shoot as many people as he could on New Year's Eve at Melbourne's Federation Square.
The man was arrested Monday after the police had obtained warrants to search two residences, Werribee and Meadow Heights, in the suburbs of Melbourne, in the south of the country, as well as a commercial building in Footscray.
He's an Australian-born, 20-year-old man.
A man has been arrested by counter-terrorism police for allegedly plotting a New Year's Eve terror attack in Melbourne.
Victoria Police will hold a press conference on the arrests at 9am. "We have been monitoring him for a very lengthy period of time", he said.Читайте также: White House Might Ban Staff Members From Using Personal Phones at Work
"The potential of the attack was catastrophic", said Patton, adding that the man was an "Islamic State sympathiser".
He is now being interviewed by police in relation to offences of act in preparation to commit a terrorist attack and collecting documents to facilitate a terrorist act, and is expected to be charged once the interview process has concluded.
The man was taken into custody at a Werribee home at 3pm on Monday when authorities swooped on the property in coordinated raids, police confirmed in a statement released on Tuesday.
Australian officials have grown increasingly concerned over the threat of extremist attacks, raising the national terror alert level to "probable" in September 2014.
So far, 74 people have been charged as a result of 347 counter-terrorist investigations. "They are working 24/7 to keep Australia safe", Mr McCartney said.При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2021 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог