Australia ended a lockdown of its third-biggest city Brisbane yesterday, just in time for Easter holidays, as only one new locally transmitted Covid-19 case in Queensland state eased fears of a widespread outbreak.
The Queensland outbreak has jumped the border, with a case in neighbouring New South Wales (NSW) prompting the cancellation of the popular Bluesfest music festival in the coastal tourist town of Byron Bay and the reintroduction of mobility curbs in four council areas in the north of the state.
Despite the lifting of lockdown, the Queensland premeir said some restrictions will remain in the state, such as the carrying of a mask by Queenslanders leaving their homes until 15 April.
Queensland's chief health officer Jeannette Young fronted media on Good Friday, telling them there had been no community-acquired cases in the previous 24 hours.
Brisbane's Princess Alexandra Hospital remains in lockdown after recent COVID-19 cases were linked to the ward 5D.
Diners at restaurants and bars need to be seated and no dancing will be permitted, while home gatherings will be limited to 30.
Ms Palaszczuk said it was "fantastic news" there had been no new local transmission.
The state processed a record 34,711 Covid-19 tests in the past 24 hours.
"As soon as we heard that the confinement was lifted, we thought - "Get back out there and start looking after the community", said Ms Smith.
Since the call was made, a "large number" of staff have been asked to self-isolate in a bid to halt the spread.
However, some residents think they've already found the answer in a slight change of wording on the Queensland Health website.
Brisbane residents are all but certain they'll remain in lockdown over the Easter long weekend after a quiet amendment to the Queensland Health Department website overnight.
A second cluster linked to a junior doctor who contracted the virus in early March sits at eight cases.
There are now more than 2700 close contacts related to the two clusters but not all are in quarantine.
She said public health requirements will remain in place for anyone who had been in identified exposure sites, with anyone who has been in Greater Brisbane or the Byron Shire in NSW in the last 14 days urged to remain vigilant for symptoms.
Anyone still awaiting a test result will need to continue to isolate until it is received, and ACT Health Minister Rachel Stephen-Smith said that meant around 70% of the people in quarantine would be able to leave quarantine at 1pm.
Anyone who attended one of the high-risk locations at the same time as a positive case is being urged to quarantine for 14 days.