The city was quiet on Saturday morning, with a small number of joggers seen darting through the city center, as the capital of the state of Victoria entered its third lockdown since the pandemic began.
Under the restrictions, some five million people in Australia's second-biggest city will have to remain at home for five days from midnight, except for a limited number of permitted essential activities. Masks will be required everywhere.
The Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne will be empty today as the Australian Open continues without spectators.
"It will be happening, but there'll be no one there watching it", he said. "I don't have advice to cancel the event on the basis that it's unsafe".
He said the tennis Open venue would be considered a "workplace" able to function with strictly limited staff. "But we'll hopefully get through it".
'After a 24-plus hour travel day from Australia to South Africa I've been diagnosed positive to Covid-19, ' he posted on Instagram.
Serena Williams was in the middle of her third-round win over Anastasia Potapova when the lockdown was announced. The seven-time Australian Open victor didn't hear the news until after the match. "I don't know if the crowd would make it any different".
"It's rough. It's going to be a rough few days for everyone", said the 23-time Grand Slam singles champion. "It's been really fun to have the crowd back, especially here".
"Play will continue", said tournament chief Craig Tiley.
The crowd was jumping up and screaming for each of Kyrgios' winners, booing close line calls and pounding the backs of seats in between points.
"It's not the romance of the players actually playing, it's the romance of hearing the crowd cheering and roaring", Carwardine said. "It was a good last match before the lockdown, it's really sad to say".
The 24-year-old did not compete at this year's Australian Open but still took the court during the month of February for the ATP Cup, where he featured alongside world No.6 Stefanos Tsitsipas for Team Greece.
Play at six warm-up tournaments in Melbourne was also suspended for a day last week when a worker tested positive at one of the official hotels. The biggest daily attendance in the first four days was 22,299 on Friday. "But we will have a greater number of results back and we will have nearly all, if not all of those primary close contacts through but it does depend on whether new cases emerge or any other surprises that might occur", he said.
"These restrictions are all about making sure that we respond appropriately to the fastest-moving, most infectious strain of coronavirus that we have seen", Andrews said.
The cluster of cases linked to the hotel quarantine program at the Holiday Inn at Melbourne Airport grew to 13 on Thursday night, with five new cases emerging, including two household contacts of existing cases.
Australia has 909 deaths attributed to COVID-19, including 820 in Victoria state.
Melbourne spent more than 100 days under lockdown past year to crush an earlier outbreak that infected thousands and killed hundreds.
That lockdown lasted 111 days.
Australia's states and territories have also been quick to close their borders when outbreaks have occurred, which has also helped to contain the virus.
Victoria's health authorities are "confident" the five-day lockdown period will be long enough to get on top of the growing hotel quarantine outbreak. Only one player, Spain's Paula Badosa, contracted the virus.
People queue for Covid19 testing at the Sunbury Respiratory Clinic.
According to a Herald Sun report, Tennis Australia confirmed that Pervolarakis had tested negative for the virus when he left Melbourne on February 9.