Andrews said there are about 500-600 people considered close contacts who will need to isolate until they return a negative result, however he dismissed concerns about the Australian Open being called off.
The Australian Open is scheduled to begin next Monday and Victoria state Premier Dan Andrews said he thought the positive test ― the first locally-acquired case in the state for nearly a month ― was not a threat to the tournament.
Andrews rejected suggestions it was the worst-case scenario for the Open and said the first grand slam of the year would be going ahead. He was working at the hotel where some of the 1000 players, officials and staff stayed for the 14-day quarantine on their arrival to Australia.
A 26-year-old man has tested positive for Covid-19 - believed to be the United Kingdom strain of the virus - after working at the Grand Hyatt hotel in Melbourne's Central Business District, Andrews said.
Perth and two surrounding areas are now in the midst of a five-day lockdown following a quarantine leak, and while Mr Andrews refrained from locking Melbourne down again, he said he would consider significant, further changes on top of the slight tightening of mask and gathering restrictions announced on Wednesday. Check your jurisdiction's restrictions on gathering limits.
That figure does not include members of the household, nor children under 12. Masks will now be mandatory inside public indoor spaces. It's also strongly recommended that masks be worn by any visitors to your home.
A plan to have up to 75 per cent of workers back in the office from Monday has been paused.
Any players, coaches or officials who quarantined at the Grand Hyatt hotel in Melbourne were deemed to be casual contacts of the 26-year-old infected man and are required to remain in their hotels until they test negative.
Three new cases were recorded in returned travellers in hotel quarantine.
"We will work with everyone involved to facilitate testing as quickly as possible", Tennis Australia said in a statement announcing the postponement of all matches that were to be played Thursday at Melbourne Park.
Between 500-600 players and personnel were housed at the Grand Hyatt during the mandatory two-week quarantine.
The lead-up to the Open had been thrown into chaos when four positive coronavirus cases were detected from charter flights carrying tennis players, coaches and officials to Melbourne nearly three weeks ago.
An update on Friday's scheduled matches is expected later today.
Site highlights each day to your inbox.