The COVID-19 patients have been shifted to another hospital, sources close to Zee News claimed. While many patients panicked, rushed and jumped from the terrace as the flames engulfed the building's upper floors, two were asphyxiated due to thick fumes, according to the initial reports. PM Modi also extended all the possible help and assured support to the families of the victims.
Rescue workers look for survivors after a fire broke out in a hotel that was being used as a coronavirus disease (COVID-19) facility in Vijayawada, in Andhra Pradesh, India, August 9, 2020. "The reason of fire appears to be a short circuit, as per the preliminary report, but we will have to ascertain", news agency ANI quoted Krishna DC Mohammad Imtiaz as saying.
In a tweet, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said he was "anguished by the fire" incident in Vijayawada.
Taking note of the incident, Minister of State for Home affairs G Kishan Reddy said that teams from the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) have also joined the rescue operations. My thoughts and prayers are with the bereaved families. The fire is suspected to have started on ground floor and spread to first and second floor, officials said. "I pray that the injured recover as soon as possible". "Praying for the speedy recovery of those injured". "It appears that the management of the Hotel Swarna Palace and the Ramesh Hospital had knowledge that there are electric defects in the lodge, and as rectification of defects involved with huge amount, they avoided to fix it".