"I am not sure how his school and teachers will ensure his needs are met as a rural student".
As the lockdown took hold, the province established online learning for both high school and elementary school students and cancelled in-person classes for the remainder of the school year.
Those students will receive "curriculum-linked independent work" on days when they are not in class.
All school boards will adopt secondary timetabling methods that emphasize cohorting of students as much as possible, to limit the number of student-to-student contacts.
Premier Doug Ford and Education Minister Stephen Lecce released the plan on Thursday, just six weeks before the start of the new school year. Class sizes set by the province for elementary schools will not be reduced. The one-metre requirement mirrors a recommendation laid out in an updated report on school safety issued by Sick Kids Wednesday.
The province said its plan was developed in consultation with the chief medical officer of health, the COVID-19 Command Table and pediatric experts, and that it prioritizes the health and safety of students with "unprecedented resources and flexibility" while "accommodating regional differences in trends of key public health indicators".
The plan details an all in-person, all-remote or hybrid scheduling option, but León said that additional guidance specific to each school would be available when principals return in early August. This will include recess and lunch.
Anyone experiencing symptoms should remain at home and anyone who gets a test must remain at home until they get their results.
NDP Education critic Marit Stiles calls the government's back-to-school plan a "low-budget scheme" which increases risk in order to save money on the backs of children.
Secondary students will also be divided into groups of 15 and will switch between learning in class and online.
Sudbury's school boards - Rainbow District School Board, Sudbury Catholic District School Board, Conseil Scolaire Public du Grand Nord and Conseil Catholique Nouvelon - have all been classified as non-designated. When not possible, students will be organized in cohorts and space will be arranged to encourage separation, including the use of larger areas like multipurpose rooms, according to the province's school guidelines.
Secondary schools in designated boards will open on an adapted model, with class cohorts of approximately 15 students.
That includes the Upper Canada District School Board, the Renfrew Country District School Board, the Renfrew County Catholic District School Board, and the Conseil scolaire de district catholique de l'Est ontarien. "It's about maintaining physical distance as much as you can, but recognizing that there's not it's not always possible in those situations, and that you want to have your potential exposure group to be much smaller than an entire school", she said. Now at most high schools students take four courses in each of two semesters.
School boards had already been asked to make plans for three scenarios: full time learning at home; a hybrid model that mixed part-time classes with online learning at home; and a return to full time school.
"While it is hard to determine how steep the learning loss will be, in the absence of the data from the needs assessments, our goal is to minimize and mitigate", the plan says. "This plan puts the health and safety of our kids first".
Windsor-Essex school staff, students and parents have a better picture of what back-to-school will look like this fall.
The full reopening is created to help parents return to work as Ontario's economy reopens.
Jacinthe Pelletier, Lilia and Avery's grandmother, said "it'll be good for everybody, for the kids to go back to school".