Iran has issued an arrest warrant and asked Interpol for help in detaining US President, Donald Trump, and others it believed to have carried out the drone strike that killed a top Iranian general in Baghdad, Aljazeera reports.
Tehran prosecutor Ali Alqasimehr said Trump and more than 30 others whom Iran accuses of involvement in the January 3 strike that killed General Qassem Soleimani in Baghdad face "murder and terrorism charges", the state-run IRNA news agency reported on Monday.
"Thirty-six individuals who cooperated, collaborated and participated in the assassination of Hajj Qassem, including political and military authorities of the USA and other countries, have been identified", Alqasi-Mehr said, according to the IRNA.
Alqasimehr was also quoted as saying Iran had requested a "red notice" be put out for Trump and the others, the highest-level notice issued by Interpol, requesting the location and arrest of the named individual.
Mr. Alqasimehr did not identify anyone else sought other than Mr. Trump, but stressed that Iran would continue to pursue his prosecution even after his presidency ends.
After receiving a request, Interpol meets by committee and discusses whether or not to share the information with its member states.
The assassination came after months of incidents raising tensions between the two countries and ultimately saw Iran retaliate with a ballistic missile strike targeting American troops in Iraq.
Saudi and United States officials on Monday urged the global community to extend a UN arms embargo on Iran, saying that failing to do so would allow Tehran to further arm its proxies and destabilise the Middle East.
Washington withdrew from the deal in 2018 and reimposed sanctions on Iran, prompting Tehran to stop complying with key restrictions imposed on its nuclear activity by the accord.
Last week, the US Treasury Department slapped fresh sanctions on five Iranian ship captains who had delivered petrol to Venezuela, whose once-thriving oil industry has broken down.