Australia is also a temporary circuit, so I believe they spend a lot of time, money and energy building up the circuit, and then making the decision last-minute that you have to cancel the race is an absolute disaster.
Currently, the first eight races of this year have either been postponed or cancelled with the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal currently the first scheduled to go ahead on June 14. "We're optimistic but we also know things change by the hour, so we're also realistic". We still have a couple of weeks- I would certainly state 2 or 3 weeks before us- prior to we would certainly need to begin putting up the grandstands and also preparing the website.
"So our deadline to start building up the circuit was the middle of March, we postponed it by a week to make the decision on the race and obviously we made the decision on the last day when we had to start building the circuit". To Racer, Arif Rahimov, the CEO of the race organization in Azerbaijan, says: "If you have a precedent, it is easier to work with everyone because everyone understands the pain you are going through".
"Yesterday here in Quebec our Prime Minister asked all non-essential businesses to close up to April 13".
"We made the call before we built any of the track", he said. My group, that arrange the race, have actually been functioning from residence for the recently or 10 days.
"For us, we are still three months away, so it's too far ahead to consider anything", he told GPFans.
Formula One remains committed to not only starting, but completing a comprehensive 2020 season comprising a slightly curtailed calendar of 15-18 races. "But at the same time I'm working on different scenarios on postponing the event".
Although Montreal is heavily supported by government money, Dumontier insists that involvement won't have an impact on any decisions. We've got some support from private funding, but not into the organisation itself.
After all, the next race will be Canada, but with the uncertainty surrounding the coronavirus, it is now hard to say when the season will actually start.
But at least the case study of what happened in Melbourne proved invaluable to Rahimov and his management team as they faced the crucial decisions over whether to proceed with their own event.
"We need to evaluate the situation by the hour nearly". We still have 2 or 3 weeks before us.