This is in addition to more than $11 billion that's already been identified to construct roughly 500 miles of new barriers along the southern US border with Mexico.
In addition, funding will be diverted from programs to update Humvees and trucks for the Army, buy $1.3 billion in "miscellaneous" new equipment for the National Guard and Reserves and develop certain U.S. Navy vessels.
President Trump tours a section of the southern border wall in 2019, in Otay Mesa, Calif.
According to the budget documents, the Pentagon is pulling the funding from two F-35 fighter jets and two Osprey tilt-rotor aircraft for the Marine Corps; one P-8A reconnaissance aircraft for the Navy; and four C-130J transport planes and eight MQ-9 Reaper drones for the Air Force.
The Pentagon suggested that the $3.6 billion in military construction funds it was diverting to border barriers previous year would be "backfilled" by Congress, potentially leading to no delays in the projects that were defunded. The OCO fund is used in military operations against the ISIS terrorist group.
Last year, up to $3.6 billion in unobligated military construction funds were authorized by Trump's emergency declaration to be used for the border wall and have been directed toward 11 barrier projects totaling 175 miles of fencing to be built in Texas, Arizona and California.
Last year, the Pentagon shifted $6.1 billion from existing accounts to meet DHS requests to help fund construction of the border wall. He alienated lawmakers on both sides previous year when diverting funding intended for popular projects on military bases.
The Pentagon request also strips $156 million in additional funds for the F-35, $180 million for an Air Force light attack aircraft, $650 million for amphibious assault ships and almost $300 million for Army vehicles.
"Today's reprogramming request confirms once again that the President is obsessed with fulfilling a campaign promise at the expense of our national security", Rep. Adam Smith of Washington, the panel's Democratic chairman, said in a statement.
Rep. Mac Thornberry of Texas, the top Republican on the House Armed Services Committee, immediately pushed back as well. Esper approved a portion of that.
Trump's action comes less than two months after he signed a huge appropriations package into law and just days after the administration unveiled its fiscal 2021 budget.
Trump's fiscal 2021 budget, released only Monday, contains a $2 billion request for the wall, less than Trump asked for previous year, which reflected the fact that Trump has more money for the wall than can be spent immediately.
While no decisions have been made about additional funds being used from other military construction projects, Salesses confirmed that there are ongoing discussions about the possibility.
In response to the news, several congressional members on Capitol Hill are decrying the move as unconstitutional and risky. Richard Shelby, the Republican chairman of the Appropriations Committee.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer said in a statement that the cuts represent another broken promise Trump has made to service members.
Numerous programs are favored by lawmakers for the jobs they bring to their districts and states.
The Trump administration is diverting the billions of dollars without congressional approval.