But after intense mediation by the African Union and Ethiopia, a landmark power sharing deal was reached earlier this month that aims to set up a joint civilian-military governing body.
African Union envoy Mohammed el-Hassan Labat originally said a meeting would take place on Saturday night.
The tension between the military leaders who took power in the country and opposition forces escalated after a bloody raid on the sit-in near the army headquarters in Khartoum, killing a number of protesters and injuring hundreds on June 3.
In a statement on behalf of the TMC via the official Sudan News Agency (SUNA) on Thursday evening, Lt Gen Jamal Omar announced that the security services have foiled a coup attempt by a group of officers and non-commissioned officers in the Armed Forces and the Security Service.
He said operations are now underway to apprehend other coup suspects, including its ringleader, who is believed to be on the run.
"This is an attempt to block the agreement which has been reached by the Transitional Military Council and the Alliance for Freedom and Change that aims to open the road for Sudanese people to achieve their demands", Omar said.
Sudanese troops were deployed in the streets of Khartoum following the Transitional Military Council's announcement Thursday that it had stopped a coup attempt by military officers. Sudan has been rocked by a political crisis since protests first erupted against Bashir's rule in December.
Saturday's commemorative rallies came as mediators said talks between generals and protest leaders to discuss the finer details of a recently agreed power sharing accord had been postponed to Sunday, at the request of protest leaders. A military leader is to head the 11-member council for the first 21 months, followed by a civilian leader for the next 18.
They also agreed to delay the establishment of a legislative council until the sovereignty council and the civilian government are established. The military also agreed to restore the internet after a week-long blackout.
Opposition medics say more than 100 people were killed when the military's feared Rapid Support Forces violently cleared the protest sit-in. A committee of legal experts was assigned to draft the details before it would be handed over for both parties to sign. "The military council should be held accountable (for) the massacre", said protester Samer Hussein.
"I believe that the FDFC had already made a lot of concessions in this deal, but it seems that the military still expects more from them".
The constitutional declaration's signing was pushed to Sunday for further consultations based on FFC's wishes, Lebatt said on Sky News Arabia earlier on Saturday.
Awad also concurred that the announcement of a failed coup might be a ruse to use against the pro-democracy movement.