Heavily armed assailants again attacked an Ebola treatment center in the heart of eastern Congo's deadly outbreak on Saturday, with one police officer killed and health workers injured, authorities said, while frightened patients waited in isolation rooms for the gunfire to end. Congo's Ministry of Health had also shared a picture of healthcare workers on Twitter shortly after it reopened.
"These are not attacks BY the community, they are attacks ON the community".
Another Ebola treatment center in Katwa was attacked late last month, with one person killed.
"While it broke his heart to hear of the latest casualties, ".we have no choice except to continue serving the people here, who are among the most vulnerable in the world", he added.
Gunmen attacked the centre at Butembo, North Kivu province, earlier Saturday, killing a policeman and wounding a health worker, local officials said, the latest in a series of attacks.
Security forces on Saturday repelled the attackers, one of whom was wounded, Butembo Mayor Sylvain Kanyamanda said.
"The army and the police caught one of the attackers", he said, saying he was a member of the Mai-Mai rebel group.
It was the third attack on the centre, said the mayor of the city of a million people.
Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontiers (MSF) revealed that 40 percent of Ebola deaths had happened in communities rather than in the treatment centres.
On Thursday, the Doctors Without Borders president warned that Ebola containment efforts face a "climate of deepening community mistrust" seven months after the outbreak was declared, and the use of security forces complicates efforts.
Ghebreyesus was completing a three-day visit to the country along with other senior World Health Organization staff and USA officials.
Both the Katwa and Butembo centres had been jointly run by the health ministry and MSF, but after the first attacks, the aid agency announced it was suspending its activities in both facilities.
The facility had resumed operations only a week ago and had been managed by the ministry of health in collaboration with the WHO and United Nations children's agency. A total of 561 lives have been claimed out of the 894 reported ones.
The deadly outbreak that begun in North Kivu last August, spread to the neighbouring Ituri province.
Efforts to contain the virus have been hampered by a plethora of armed groups operating in Congo's lawless east.