The five heavily armed Americans arrested in Haiti earlier this week are back on their home soil and won't be facing any criminal charges in the United States - a decision already causing outrage among some Haitian leaders on the island.
Federal sources told the Miami Herald that the men will not be charged criminally, but are being debriefed.
The men were supposed to make their first appearance in court in Haiti Wednesday.
A spokesman for Haiti's Justice Ministry also confirmed that the individuals were "were handed over to US authorities this Wednesday". "The American government has spent a lot of money".
Since the arrests, Haitian newspapers have printed names that corresponded to social media profiles of USA citizens claiming military backgrounds.
"I want to inform you that I've authorized a procedure of transfer to the United States of America of American citizens and United States permanent residents, a total of seven to respond to the charges of transporting illegal arms from the United States through the Haitian territory", the letter reads. Moise has been under fire for his handling of the poverty-stricken nation's economy; violent protests calling for his ouster have rocked Haiti in recent weeks.
Pierre Esperance, executive director of the National Human Rights Defense Network in Haiti, blasted the decision by USA authorities to not charge the men.
"What the Haitian government did is grave".
"They left", a Haitian police source told The Miami Herald on Wednesday evening.
The release of the men from the Haitian justice system is causing a political uproar in Haiti, a country already in upheaval.
As riots over corruption engulf the nation, the men were captured Sunday in the capital Port-au-Prince by Haitian police. In their vehicles - which had no external number plates - were found automatic weapons, pistols, a telescope, satellite phones, drones and ballistic vests.
Airport employees say the men seemed quite at ease and were taken inside the VIP diplomatic lounge to wait on the flight after their tickets were purchased at the counter.
On board: former Navy Seal officers Christopher Michael Osman and Christopher Mark McKinley, and former Marine Veteran Kent Leland Kroeker as well as Americans Dustin Porte and Talon Ray Burton.
Carel Pedre, a Haitian media personality, said in a video posted on Facebook that he was on a commercial flight to Miami with the men and posted a video of them on social media.
The department said in an emailed statement that the return was co-ordinated with Haitian authorities, but a spokesperson for Haitian Prime Minister Jean-Henry Céant told Radio Vision 2000 on Thursday that he was not aware of the men's departure and demanded an immediate explanation from the justice minister.
A video of the men inside the Toussaint Louverture Airport shows them being escorted through the departure area without shackles, with one US embassy staffer in front and another in the back.