She brought up blackface during a segment the week before Halloween while holding a round-table discussion with an all-white panel about offensive costumes.
Megyn Kelly and NBC have reached an exit agreement, almost three months after the television host made controversial comments about blackface on television. In a sense, Kelly was caught in a no-woman's land: some at NBC were suspicious of her because of the Fox News background, while her former audience at Fox resented her for tough questioning of Donald Trump on the presidential campaign trail.
"What is racist?" she said on the show. "You do get in trouble if you are a white person who puts on blackface for Halloween or a black person who puts on whiteface for Halloween". Kelly said it was OK when she was "a kid" (she was born in 1970) to don blackface - "so long as you were dressing up as a character".
She then defended a white reality star who dressed as singer Diana Ross, saying, "I felt like, who doesn't love Diana Ross?" At one point, she asked what costumes could be considered racist.
Kelly gave a tearful apology on the show the next day. " Kelly said on her show back on October 23".
Last week, NBC announced that Al Roker would be taking over Kelly's slot on the 9 a.m. hour of Today. " It was also acceptable, she believed, when "Real Housewives of New York" reality star Luanne de Lesseps wore blackface as Diana Ross for an episode".
Kelly's Sunday night newsmagazine program, "Sunday Night with Megyn Kelly", was widely panned and discontinued after a short run in the summer of 2017.