The seemingly annual Christmas talk of the sale of Premier League Newcastle United is now in full swing with former Manchester United and Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon leading discussions in the USA to create a consortium of buyers who will put up the £300 million needed to buy the club from Mike Ashley.
It is thought the consortium Kenyon has been putting together could firm up their backing following analysis of Newcastle's finances, and Ashley is hoping this proves to be the case.
Former Chelsea and Manchester United chief executive Peter Kenyon is heading a consortium that is in talks to buy Newcastle United.
Ashley revealed in a rare television interview that ongoing negotiations were "at a more progressed stage than they've ever been" and although his comments were greeted with scepticism by fans who saw Amanda Staveley's proposed takeover collapse earlier this year, things appear to be developing apace.
Newcastle have twice been relegated from the Premier League under Ashley's ownership.
A man who prides himself on his ability to get a deal done, a man who rises every morning thinking, "how will I make more money today", has been consistently hopeless in getting this one over the line. "We have an important game to play and we have to focus on that", the Spaniard said.
He told The Chronicle in his press conference: "For us, we have experience of this". When we say, "business as usual", it's because we know that it will not change our plans. "We have to look for our targets and just be ready for January 1".
Now, with the January window approaching, Benitez says he and managing director Lee Charnley are busy working on potential targets who can help the club strengthen.