The family of a young child who was critically injured after receiving an electrical shock at MGM National Harbour in Maryland has brought a lawsuit against the casino.
She was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment, but then was transferred to a Baltimore facility for care - two hours from her family's Calvert area home.
The lawsuit points to a report that found faulty wiring on a handrail shocked the seven-year-old girl with 10 times the amount of electricity needed to light the rail, leaving the girl brain damaged and unable to walk and talk.
Zynae, who turned 7 on Sunday, can not speak, walk or move her limbs, said the family's lawyer Benedict Morelli.
Carlos Green Jr., who is 5-years-old, and Monya Rosier, who is 16, were both hospitalized for days as a result of their injuries but have been discharged, according to the lawsuit. Thanks to everyone for celebrating but it breaks my heart that she is here and not at home.
'Five months since MGM did this to our family and still no help from them.
Green's small body was hit with 120 volts of electricity when she grabbed one charged handrail and put her feet on another on June 26. "Our Zy Zy is a fighter but she needs help".
Now Zynae's family is suing MGM National Harbor and MGM National Grand for negligence.
It also states that the resort didn't have a defibrillator on hand to help Zynae following the incident.
The resort told WBALTV that it was a "tragic accident".
'We are committed to continue working with the family's representative to reach a resolution.
The resort also said it will respond to the lawsuit in court.
'The findings of faulty wiring contained in a report released by the county shows that the high standards that MGM Resorts expects of those contractors were not upheld, which is very disturbing and disappointing.
In addition to MGM, Whiting-Turner, the general contractor for the project, and Rosendin Electric, which did the electrical contracting work, are named as defendants in a complaint that alleges the defendants urged construction workers "to finish their jobs quickly, at the expense of safety" to hasten the resort opening.
The lawsuit points to a report from county safety inspectors that found faulty wiring in a device that was meant to control the flow of electricity.
It also found that the system had "major" code violations that should have never passed the permitting and inspection process, according to the Washington Post.
It discovered that four LED drivers were grouped in a single box. The engineer's report and the preliminary assessment said the railing was installed at too shallow a depth, allowing the handrail to wobble and fray protective coatings on wiring that exposed bare wiring that came in contact with the metal railing. Haitham Hijazi, director of the Prince George's Department of Inspections, said poor electrical work and bad inspection practices were to blame.