The country has been on high alert ever since the Ministry of Health of the Democratic Republic of Congo confirmed an Ebola outbreak in North Kivu and Ituri province of the populous Eastern province on August 1, 2018.
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
The emergency committee reviewed the latest information on the latest outbreak and determined that it is of regional concern but not of global concern at this time.
"Based on the current context. the committee recommended that the current Ebola outbreak in DRC does not constitute a public health emergency of worldwide concern", said WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.
"However, not so far a single case has been exported", said Robert Steffen, the head of the WHO's emergency advisory committee.
A WHO declaration of a so-called public health emergency of worldwide concern (PHEIC) would have aimed to draw the world's attention and hopefully elicit a greater worldwide response to a health crisis with global implications.
Declaring a PHEIC, the first since the Latin American Zika virus outbreak in February 2016, might have ramped up the pace of the response, but Steffen said there were also disadvantages, such as travel and transport restrictions. Steffen explained that PHEICs must meet three criteria: they must be extraordinary, pose a risk of worldwide border spread, and require an global response. Meanwhile, 18,000 people have been vaccinated against Ebola in Congo, "including 7,000 health/frontline workers and 4,000 children".
WHO's director-general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said they were "trying within this year" to stop Ebola.
Now a high-level delegation from the Independent Oversight Advisory Committee of World Health Organization Geneva is in the country and they are visiting the border districts of Kasese, Ntoroko, Bundibugyo and Kabarole to assess further the level of Uganda's preparedness.
Gostin said this outbreak "is the first time the World Health Organization has formally asked the United Nations Security Council to address the worsening security situation in a major outbreak". It is estimated by the United Nations that more than a million civilians under threat from armed groups, are internally-displaced in North Kivu; around 500,000 this year alone.
The decision to reconvene the emergency committee in such an event would be made by Tedros, he said.