All of Trump's top advisers have been united in his effort to push China to change its economic practices, but they have been split on his tactics.
However, the timing of an announcement remains unclear, CNN quoted spokeswoman Lindsay Walters as saying on Friday.
"The President has been clear that he and his administration will continue to take action to address China's unfair trade practices", the White House said in a statement Friday. There are hints of the two sides resuming talks that could mitigate or end the trade war, but Trump hasn't been willing to wait for these talks before imposing new tariffs. "We encourage China to address the long standing concerns raised by the United States".
The decision was first reported by the Wall Street Journal.
China's Foreign Ministry said it welcomed the invitation.
With the public comment period for the new round of tariffs expiring last week, President Trump said the duties will be imposed soon.
Trump's top economic adviser, Larry Kudlow told Fox News on Wednesday that the United States government had received information that "the top of the Chinese government wished to pursue talks" prompting Mnuchin to send an invitation.
The two governments have already imposed 25 per cent tariffs on $US50 billion of each other's goods.
The US has said that the tariffs are needed to punish Beijing for its unfair trade practices and intellectual property theft. Beijing has issued a list of another $US60 billion of American products for retaliation if Trump's next tariff hike goes ahead.
Envoys met in August in Washington but reported no progress.
The U.S. imports roughly $500 billion in Chinese goods each year, and - combined with existing tariffs - these new penalties would cover half of all goods sent to the U.S. from China each year.