This is the first shark attack death in MA in more than 80 years, according to People Magazine.
A 26-year-old boogie boarder had been enjoying the waves off of Cape Cod at Newcomb Hollow Beach with a friend when he was viciously attacked by a shark, according to the Daily Mail.
Great white shark sightings in Cape Cod have soared this year, with experts blaming increased seal levels close to the region's beaches.
Two signs at the top of the dune at Newcomb Hollow Beach alerted visitors that the beach was closed to swimming Saturday.
Booth said others on the beach attempted to make a tourniquet while others called 911.
The man suffered "injuries to his lower extremities", an off-duty lifeguard told The Cape Cod Times.
Reynolds said Seashore rangers and Wellfleet police performed CPR on the victim on the beach after the bite.
In August, a NY man was bitten by a shark at another Cape Cod beach but survived the encounter, according to media reports.
A MA man has been killed after he was attacked by a shark on a Cape Cod beach. "Right spot, wrong time, I guess".
He sustained severe injuries to his legs and is still recovering in hospital.
The local police department is working with the National Park Service and the state police to investigate. It's also the first fatal attack in the United States since April 2015.
"It is my personal belief that the responsibility for this frightful shark attack rests squarely upon the shoulders of the aforementioned officials for their utter lack of attention and inaction regarding the growing shark problem on Cape Cod of the last few years", he said.
Gavin Naylor, the director of the program, told CNN that such attacks are "very rare" and that "shark attacks in the summer are a direct outcome of more people and more animals in the water".
Barnstable County Commissioner Ron Beaty said he anxious this would happen.
"It had to be a 10- to 12-foot shark".