The Ebola outbreak in Congo is confirmed to be the Zaire strain of the virus and vaccinations of health workers may start as early as Wednesday, a senior official of the World Health Organization (WHO) said.
Congo's health ministry on Tuesday confirmed 43 people have been infected by the virus in the provinces of North Kivu and Ituri, 36 of which have been confirmed dead.
At least four Ebola deaths are confirmed in the new outbreak, Health Minister Dr Oly Ilunga Kalenga said in a statement.
Three thousand doses of the Ebola vaccine are being sent from Kinshasa, the capital, and will be used first in the Mabalako health zone and in the nearby city of Beni, which has more than 680,000 people.
The outbreak declared last week in North Kivu province in the northeast near Uganda and Rwanda is a new outbreak and not connected to the one in DRC's northwest that was declared over on July 24, WHO's emergency preparedness chief Peter Salama said on Twitter.
"Teams of health workers from the WHO and the Ministry of Health are on the ground to treat the victims and immunize people in the villages, where the epidemic has been reported", Lengu told Anadolu Agency.
Targeted vaccinations are expected to begin on Wednesday. Other residents in Beni and Mangina will receive vaccinations Thursday, authorities said. "When I see the doctors preparing the funerals for those who have died from Ebola, without their family, it gives me goose bumps".
The disease, which causes fever, vomiting and diarrhea, is spread through direct contact with body fluids.
This is Congo's 10th Ebola outbreak since the virus was first identified near northern Congo's Ebola river.
He cited new results of genetic analysis that confirm the strain of Ebola in the new outbreak is the Zaire strain, one for which the vaccine can be used.
There is no specific treatment, and the virus can be fatal in up to 90 percent of cases, depending on the strain.