Earlier this week, metalheads celebrated the news of two people breaking out of a nursing home to go and rock at the annual Wacken metal festival. It turns out they weren't so elderly, nor did they escape from a nursing home.
The German news outlet Deutsche Welle, which broke the initial story, now reports that the police department provided misinformation in its statement to the media. Festival-goers called police after finding the two "helpless, disoriented and intoxicated" waiting for a bus home at a main street stop after the buses had stopped running at 3 a.m. Saturday. But, as pointed out by outcome of Sound, the news outlet now says it was misinformed about the Wacken Open Air incident. A few hours later, a taxi arrived to take them back to their care home. But perhaps most surprising of all is that the duo didn't even make it to Wacken Open Air last week.
Metal heads hailed the unidentified men as heroes on social media while others questioned why police would remove them from the festival in the first place if they were having a good time.
The two men, who are actually 58- and 59-years-old, have mental health issues, Itzehoe police spokesman Peter Berndt told local public broadcaster NDR.
It took some convincing to get the two men to leave the festival and return to the nursing home, reportedly because they are grown men that should be allowed to go to a music festival if they want to; that's way cooler than sitting in a boring ass nursing home all day, staring at walls and eating mashed potatoes. He added that the alcohol contributed to their "helpless situation". Sound off in the comments section below.