The remains of all eight men allegedly murdered by Bruce McArthur have now been recovered and identified, police in charge of the sprawling investigation said Friday.
Acting Insp. Hank Idsinga says after examining around 100 properties in the Greater Toronto Area, police don't have any evidence to suggest there are any other victims.
Earlier this month, Idsinga revealed that more human remains were discovered at the Mallory Crescent home where McArthur, 66, worked as a landscaper before his arrest in January.
Police have been unable to find any remains belonging to one of those men, Majeed Kayhan.
"Although the identification and examination of remains continues, we do not have any evidence to suggest that Mr. McArthur is responsible for anything more than the eight murders he now stands charged", Idsinga said Friday.
"Bruce McArthur is already charged with the murder of Majeed Kayhan, whom we allege was killed in 2012", Det.
Mallory Crescent is the only property where human remains were found, police have said.
Police later confirmed that more human remains had been found and sent to the Ontario Forensic Pathology Service to be tested.
Idsinga said that while the news may provide closure to his family, they were "eternally hopeful" that police were wrong about his death. Idsinga said Friday that Kayhan's dismembered remains were found scattered in several locations in a ravine behind the home.
In April police charged McArthur in the death of Abdulbasir Faizi, who was reported missing in 2010, and days later charged him in the death of Kirushna Kumar Kanagaratnam, who came to Canada from Sri Lanka and was not reported missing.
"It's important for the families for closure, for the victims themselves, and for the community ... as a whole", he said.
The current evidence in the case suggests there aren't any more alleged victims, Idsinga said, although investigators are still sifting through tips from Canada and overseas, and analyzing cold cases and missing persons' reports - including a "rash of murders" from the 1970s and 80s. Idsinga said no other searches are anticipated. In February, he was also charged in the death of Skandaraj Navaratnam.
"There are eight victims that we've identified and I hope that it remains at just eight victims", he said.
"Obviously it's very hard for them". "They're very grateful, they're very thankful for the closure and they're very angry".
"There are a rash of murders from the 70s and 80s that remain unsolved".
Idsinga said police are still receiving tips from around the world.
McArthur is due to appear in court again on Monday.