- A family in New Jersey is anxious about its father, who was hospitalized after going crabbing in Maurice River.
Doctors believe that the Vibrio bacteria, which is often found in warmer waters where the river meets the sea, is behind his infection. Photos taken by the family show the discoloration and swelling. It's in a group commonly known as flesh-eating bacteria. If he doesn't, they may have to amputate at least three of his limbs. The father is now in the ICU at Cooper University Hospital in Camden, NJ, according to NJ Advance Media.
'He is in critical condition, ' Perez-Dilan told the website. "The infection has spread to his blood.his skin; you can see it spreading from his feet all the way above his kneecap". Perez-Dilan said one of her father's friends and another family member developed rashes and swelling. "His forearms are black in color; they have blisters, cuts and sores".
Doctors are waiting to see if Perez responds to antibiotics, his daughter says.
Perez-Dilan said her father is not breathing well but on his own and is only able to slightly move his right arm - yet is in good spirits.
'He's been praising God nonstop. "He's just happy to have a second chance". Vibrio is fairly common in seawater, according to state health officials, especially during summer months. The family is now warning others to be mindful. We think water is safe. It can be risky and we don't know what we're getting into when we get in there. The bacteria is more risky to those with compromised immune systems, like Perez, who has Parkinson's disease. "Don't just jump in the water with wounds open". Anyone with liver disease or a weakened immune system should also avoid eating raw shellfish because the bacteria can also be spread through food.