She said five other people who came with them fell sick as well. "CLIMB Works should make this right with all the families that were affected by this". Visitors are now being given bottled water. Symptoms usually appear three to four days after the bacteria is ingested and can cause, abdominal cramping, diarrhea, loss of appetite, fatigue and fever.
Thank you for signing up for the Speed Feed Newsletter.
The facility closed temporarily but reopened in consultation with local health officials, according to WBIR.
Harmon said multiple complaints about sickness at the zip line course prompted the investigation to begin after July 4.
Over the next couple weeks, the state will gather additional information and finalize a report.
Since mid-June, at least 550 people have gotten sick, according to the Tennessee Department of Health. However, the state took a sample that was found with bacteria and CLIMB Works said it was recommended to stop using it. While tourists continue to enjoy the park, management is working to fix the drinking water.
Anyone that has visited CLIMB Works between June 15 and July 6 and is now experiencing gastrointestinal illness is asked to contact their heath care provider and get stool testing.
That water from the Climb Works well has been sent to the state's main lab in Nashville for further testing, to determine the strain of E. coli that was in the water. "Preliminary testing and environmental health assessments indicate the water system at the zipline facility may have contributed to the outbreak; however, there are likely other sources involved in the spread of the illnesses, including contaminated surfaces and person-to-person transmission".
The types of E. coli that can cause diarrhea can be transmitted through contaminated water or food, or through contact with animals or persons, the CDC said.
Reuters/Oswaldo RivasMore than 500 people who went ziplining in the Great Smoky Mountains of Tennessee are sick with E. coli infections.
"When we measure and see E. coli in a well, we know that that well has been contaminated with fecal waste", Hawkins said.