"I was just thinking that her legs were asleep until I noticed that she couldn't hardly talk!" her mother Jessica Griffin wrote on Facebook.
Jessica Griffin says her daughter couldn't walk after she was bitten by a tick.
Kailyn had a CT scan and bloodwork at the University of Mississippi Medical Center, where doctors diagnosed her with tick paralysis, The Washington Post reported.
"PLEASE for the love of god check your kids for ticks!" she posted.
The post, which received over 107,000 reactions and 414,000 shares, was followed by a photo of Kailyn walking out of the hospital with "Get Well" balloons.
Kailyn Kirk, 5, who is recovering from a case of tick paralysis.
Mom at first thought that maybe Kailyn had slept in an awkward position and her legs had gone numb, according to a Facebook post.
Women and children are most at risk. If the tick is left in the victim for too long, it can lead to respiratory failure and even death. Scary is [an] UNDERSTATEMENT! It can manifest as fatigue, numbness and an increasing inability to move, according to the foundation.
Tick paralysis is caused by female ticks on the verge of laying eggs.
In early May, the CDC warned of rising populations of ticks and mosquitoes that public works and pest control services were wholly unprepared to address. Some cases in livestock have been caused by the American dog tick, found east of Saskatchewan.
The paralysis is more common in animals, which are unable to check themselves for the ticks. However, symptoms typically improve within 24 hours of removing the tick.
Preventing this disease is the same as any other tick-borne illness: don't get bitten, and remove any attached ticks promptly.
But human children are also susceptible due to their smaller body mass. Girls get tick paralysis more frequently because the ticks can easily hide in a mass of hair, according to the foundation.
The best way to avoid tick bites that can cause disease is to avoid walking through or brushing against vegetation and perform daily self-examinations for ticks.