A five-year-old girl from MS woke up one morning in June and couldn't walk.
Kailyn was left struggling to walk after being bitten by a tick.
"I was just thinking that her legs were asleep until I noticed that she couldn't hardly talk!" her mother Jessica Griffin wrote on Facebook.
After finding a tick in her daughter's hair, the mother said she rushed her little girl to the hospital.
Griffin followed up with a photo of her daughter walking out of the hospital later that evening. Following a CT scan and blood tests, doctors diagnosed Kailyn with tick paralysis.
Kailyn was taken to University of Mississippi Medical Centre and was able to walk out of hospital after receiving treatment.
"Scary is a UNDERSTATEMENT! She has been such a champ throughout this whole ordeal".
"Fortunately, it is relatively rare", said Robbin Lindsay, a research scientist at the Public Health Agency of Canada who specializes in ticks.
Symptoms can take up to seven days to develop.
The paralysis is "ascending", which means it starts in the lower body and moves up, the NIH says. The condition can become life-threatening if the tick is not removed quickly, with the potential for paralysis to affect respiratory muscles. "It's more common in children than it is adults", she wrote last Wednesday. When she brushed Kailyn's hair, she saw it: a tick had latched on to the girl's scalp.
Tick paralysis is caused by a neurotoxin produced in the parasite's salivary gland. Some cases in livestock have been caused by the American dog tick, found east of Saskatchewan.
The CDC recommends showering within two hours of coming indoors to reduce the risk of getting Lyme Disease and other tick-borne diseases.