While the original damages awarded to Wilson were split into $650,000 in general damages and $3.9 million to compensate for work she missed out on because of the damage to her reputation, today's decision removed the $3.9 million compensation entirely, saying Wilson never actually proved a link between the Bauer articles and her missing out on roles in films.
"The trial judge erred in finding the plaintiff had established, on the balance of probabilities, the loss of an opportunity to earn US$15 million from being cast in lead or co-lead roles in three feature films", the judgment said.
During a two-day appeal hearing in Melbourne in April, Bauer's barrister Michael Wheelahan QC argued the level of damages was "manifestly excessive".
"I'm away on location in Europe filming right now", she tweeted on Wednesday night.
She wrote that she had "already won the case" and that the case was more about clearing her name than making money.
Wilson was originally awarded $4.5m last September, which was the biggest defamation payout in Australian history. "The Court of Appeal in Australia will be handing down their decision in the morning re my defamation case against @bauermedia". The legal process has run its course and Bauer welcomes the court's decision to set aside the entire award of damages for economic loss.
Now, nearly two months later, it sounds like the actress is ready to put it all behind her.
Wilson said previously that she would donate the money made from the case to charity and use it to support the Australian film industry. She'll next be seen in Isn't It Romantic opposite Adam DeVine and Liam Hemsworth, followed by The Hustle, a Dirty Rotten Scoundrels remake also starring Anne Hathaway.