Tallmadge Wakeman D'Elia was found dead inside his Florida home earlier this month after a fire alarm alerted the authorities.
The argument over whether or not electronic cigarettes are unsafe just took a weird turn.
FEMA recently reported that there were nearly 200 incidents involving exploding vape pens between 2000 and 2016, but D'Elia is the first person in the United States to die as a outcome.
In the aftermath of the Florida tragedy, there may finally be some regulations placed around the batteries of e-cigarettes.
He also suffered burns on about 80% of his body.
A medical examiner blames a St. Petersburg, Florida man's death on injuries suffered after an e-cigarette exploded. According to ABC Local 10, two pieces of the vape pen became projectiles when the e-cigarette exploded.
"I don't know much about the vape technology", Christopher D'Elia told the news outlet. The autopsy noted that the e-cigarette was manufactured by Smok-E Mountain and was a "mod" type device.
He points out the sharp increase in popularity of vaping means more people have more devices. It is the first death in the U.S. to be caused by a vaping pen. D'Elia was apparently using a higher wattage vaping pen that came packaged with a more powerful battery.
'Smok-E Mountain presents to you sharp, durable, and enigmatic products that blur the line between electronic cigarette and art.
The report did not reveal a cause for the device explosion, but a representative told ABC Action News that it was likely due to an atomizer or battery issue.
People interested in "smoking" cessation-including combustible products and e-cigarette devices-may visit the CDC website for advice and resources.
There have been other cases of exploding e-cigarettes, but none of them were fatal.
According to a report from the U.S. Fire Administration, which is part of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, there were at least 195 incidents in which an electronic cigarette exploded or caught fire from 2009 through 2016, resulting in 133 injuries, 38 of which were severe.