The historic summit between North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and Mr Trump is in doubt after Pyongyang warned Wednesday that United States demands that it unilaterally abandon its nuclear arsenal could prompt it to cancel the June 12 meeting.
In a second article also published by KCNA on Wednesday, the DPRK's first Vice-Minister of Foreign Affairs Kim Kye Gwan said will that North Korea will "reconsider" the summit if Washington forces the country to unilaterally abandon its nuclear weapons.
The North also cancelled high-level talks due Wednesday with Seoul because of US-South Korean military air exercises, denouncing the drills as a "rude and wicked provocation".
North Korea has already said it has suspended such testing without requesting the US stop its cooperative military drills and during a meeting in Pyongyang earlier in March, Kim Jong Un reportedly told South Korean special envoys that he "understands" that the exercises "must continue".
With that goal suddenly in jeopardy, White House officials responded to North Korea's statement on Wednesday by pretending they never actually expected the Kim-Trump summit to take place after all.
Mr Kim said the fate of the summit and relations between North Korea and the U.S. "would be clear" if Washington spoke of a Libya-style denuclearisation for the North.
The Blue House intends to "sufficiently convey (to the US) what we've discerned about North Korea's position and attitude... and sufficiently convey the US' position to North Korea", thereby helping to bridge the gap between their positions, the official said.
"If they don't, that's OK too, and we'll continue with our campaign of maximum pressure".
"The president is very used to and ready for tough negotiations", she continued.
"At the meeting, the North and China strengthened their cooperative relationship, and there is a possibility that they discussed ways to reduce US leverage on the Korean peninsula".
Analysts said Pyongyang appeared to be trying to redefine the terms of the debate.
On April 12, the North Korean Foreign Ministry declared that the Punggye-ri nuclear test site would be closed down in a public ceremony between May 23 and 25. On Sunday, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Washington would agree to lift sanctions on North Korea if it agreed to completely dismantle its nuclear weapons programme.
Pyongyang made it clear that Washington's negotiating tactics are unacceptable, and it is not interested in talks that only envisage unilateral denuclearization without guarantees North Korea won't be left totally defenseless in case of aggression.
North Korea's announcement, issued Tuesday evening by state news organization KCNA, appeared to catch the State Department off guard, with spokesperson Heather Nauert telling reporters the US had not heard from North Korea directly before the announcement.
The North Korean statements on Wednesday marked a dramatic reversal in tone from recent months and took US officials off guard after months of easing tensions.
Negotiations between North Korea and the United States have started off with major concessions on the side of the Kim regime.
Still, Kim's sudden shift raises the prospect that the world may have now come perilously close to a situation in which the North Korean leader can not be trusted. According to the statement, the planned participation of U.S. F-22 fighters and B-52 bombers is a violation of the Panmunjom Declaration signed at the summit.