Roque's statement came after Sereno, an appointee of former president Benigno Aquino III who was unseated under Duterte's watch, urged the President to resign.
The Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) will wait for the Supreme Court's final ruling on the ouster of Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno before beginning the search for her replacement.
The quo warranto petition lodged by Solicitor General Jose Calida argued that she failed to comply with all the requirements for her appointment when she failed to file her Statement of Assets, Liabilities and Networth (SALN).
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said Friday (May 18) said it was "unfortunate" that Sereno was accusing Duterte of having a hand in her ouster when she was at fault for her removal from office.
Roque advised Sereno to "closely look at the mirror" to see how involved she was in her own ouster.
Roque had earlier declined to comment on Sereno's resignation call on Duterte, saying on Thursday, "Hayaan na po natin siya at hayaan na natin siyang manahimik bilang pribadong indibidwal (Let us leave her alone, and let us leave her in peace as a private individual)".
"The President has not violated the Constitution, and unlike the former Chief Justice, PRRD enjoys high satisfaction, approval, performance, and trust ratings from the Filipino people", he said.
On Friday, Roque said Malacañang made a decision to address the matter as Sereno "has been engaged in grandstanding and seeking media coverage, pointing an accusing finger at President Duterte for the result of the quo warranto petition filed against her".
Duterte said he will resign if it will be proven he called up any politiko or justice to have Sereno removed from office. "Kaya ngayon (So now) I challenge everybody and anybody", he added.