Levine, 74, had been a towering figure in the company's history, ruling over its repertoire, orchestra and singers as music or artistic director from 1976 until he stepped down under pressure two years ago.
It said more than 70 people were interviewed in the probe.
The statement also addresses the controversy surrounding the organization's handling of the allegations: A December 2 report from the New York Times, in which a man accused Levine of sexual abuse - allegations Levine denied - prompted an investigation and his suspension, though authorities approached the Met regarding the victim's accusation in 2016.
The New York Metropolitan Opera announced Monday that it has fired its conductor, 10-time Grammy award victor James Levine, after an investigation found "credible evidence" that he "engaged in sexually abusive" conduct toward artists.
The Met's leadership had been told of allegations against Levine at least twice before taking action, the Times reported, first in 1979 and then in 2016 ― more than a year before the company finally suspended him.
It said there was also evidence that the conductor abused and harassed "vulnerable artists in the early stages of their careers".
"As anyone who truly knows me will attest, I have not lived my life as an oppressor or an aggressor", he said in a statement.
Levine has been the most prominent classical musician to date to be called out publicly as a sexual harasser or abuser in the wake of the #metoo movement. To that end, the investigation "found that any claims or rumors that members of the Met's management or its Board of Directors engaged in a cover-up of information relating to these issues are completely unsubstantiated".
He has struggled with Parkinson's disease and other health issues and now conducts from a motorised wheelchair.