"There've been plenty of cases where they've found people a week after", Santa Barbara County Fire Department spokesman Mike Eliason said earlier on a muddy Montecito street especially hard-hit by the mudslide. Brown returned to the microphone minutes later to say a call had been received and Keating had been found at a hospital outside the area.
Public Works and Flood Control workers are "racing to open them up as soon as possible", Fayram said.
Bleckel was among those on the "missing" list that shrank from 43 on Thursday evening to seven just 24 hours later, although there was some confusion over the number because two of the missing had the same name.
Another storm-related death was reported in Northern California, where a man was killed when his vehicle was apparently struck by falling rocks in a landslide Tuesday evening in Napa County.
"Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown described the devastation this way: 'It looked like a World War I battlefield".
"Safety officials just didn't see this happening", said Bastian.
"I looked out my front window and saw my auto fly by", he said. It was the first death discovered since Wednesday.
Asked by reporters if the operation had shifted from a rescue to a recovery, the sheriff said his crews had not given up hope. No further details were released about his death.
When it was over, he was able to hike to a nearby road and flag down firefighters who helped his family get out.
Josie Gower, 69, was a Montecito resident who was at home when the mudslide hit the area.
"I am blessed and I am going to do whatever I can for the rest of the community", she said, "and we all just love the firefighters". His brother Victor is Jonathan father and the husband of Fabiola Benitez.
Among those killed in the mudslides was Mark Montgomery, MD, an orthopedic hand surgeon affiliated with Santa Barbara-based Cottage Health and the Santa Barbara-based private practice Associated Hand Surgeons, according to KSBY-6 News.
Heavy rains trigged the mudslides in an area ravaged a month before by wildfires. He shared the home with his partner, who owned a cafe in Santa Barbara.
The U.S. Forest Service made the announcement Friday after aerial surveys of the 440-square-mile (1,140-square-kilometer) scar left by the so-called Thomas fire.
Montecito is best known as a getaway for the rich and famous - the median home price among current listings is more than 4 million dollars (£2.9m) - although there are also working families living in modest houses and apartments.
All of the dead were killed by "multiple traumatic injuries due to flash flood with mudslides", authorities said. More than a dozen people remain unaccounted for, authorities said.
"At this moment, we are still looking for live victims", Santa Barbara Fire Capt. Gary Pitney said.
"I've been seeing the reports of people watching the auto just wash away with the mud, so it's fast moving, it's different and the clean up process as well, so I'm happy to be out there and to serve and see how the Red Cross responds to this type of disaster", Archangelo said. She said some missing-person reports are quickly cleared but others take time to resolve.
The number of confirmed fatalities remains at 17.
They failed to find any Wednesday, the 41-year-old married father of three said, but didn't find any bodies either, which provided him some solace. He died with his wife of more than 50 years, Alice.