The train service had been suspended for nearly two weeks due to safety concerns, after an armed security guard was shot dead on the platform of the Chris Hani Station on 8 January 2018.
Cape Town - The planned reintroduction of the train service on the Central line in Cape Town has been postponed due to a train derailment, Metrorail has announced.
At the conclusion of the meeting, it was lastly resolved that a joint Project Steering Committee, to be jointly chaired by Major General Motlala-SAPS and Mr Molepo, (supported by various the Task Teams), will be established to monitor progress in resolving this challenge monthly.
The United National Transport Union (UNTU) and the Passenger Rail Agency of SA (PRASA) reached an agreement on Tuesday night to re-open the line.
Molepo invited the parties to the meeting in an effort to join hands to address the ongoing onslaught on the rail infrastructure that is greatly affecting workers, commuters, communities, employees and the economy.
The central line - the busiest in the Cape - has been out of service since last week. However, all parties agreed that that there is still a long way to solve the socio-economic challenges the railway system is confronted with.
Speaking at the joint meeting, Acting Group CEO, Mr Cromet Molepo said, "The stakeholders call upon communities to be our eyes and ears and report crime and isolate these criminal elements within our communities".
He further emphasised that this challenge can only be resolved if there is intergovernmental collaboration between all three spheres of government.
"A board of inquiry will confirm the cause of the derailment‚" he said. "Coupled with the current drought, and the fact that agriculture and tourism is a large part of our GDP, these are challenging times for business in the Western Cape".