But since then the 28-year-old's career has taken off and she has become an avid campaigner about teaching girls the dangers of TSS.
Lauren Wasser was on her period in October of 2012 when her whole life changed. She had her period and ran out of tampons, so ran to the store to buy some.
Her mother, after not having heard from her sick daughter all day, rushed to her apartment with police and friends only to find Wasser passed out face down on her bedroom floor.
"The next thing I remember was my blind cocker spaniel barking and pounding on my chest", she told Style Like U.
She had flu-like symptoms but chose to go to a party with her friends the same night.
"I was so confused and thinking "why are the police here".
Eventually, Wasser was told that gangrene had infected her legs and she would need an amputation, news that filled her with horror.
"I took myself back to my bed and plugged my phone in to call my mum".
Her mum asked if she needed an ambulance but Wasser turned it down. her mum tried to call again but Wasser didn't answer.
"I had a 107F (42C) fever, my kidneys were failing, I had a heart attack".
She said: "Thank God there was an infectious disease doctor there [at the hospital] because as soon as they found me I was plummeting so bad they couldn't understand why a healthy, young 24-year-old like me was dying".
"They called the specialist down and he checked if I had a tampon in".
"As soon as they located it it got sent to the lab and it came back as TSS and as soon as they removed it I started being more receptive to treatment".
"They were telling my mum and my godfather to start preparing my funeral because there was no way I was walking out of there - it would have been a miracle".
Toxic shock syndrome is a rare but life-threatening condition. "I had to show him that no matter what happens in life, that no matter the worst situation and the darkest of times, you have to get up, you have to fight".
In some cases a person will also have a wound on their skin where the bacteria entered the body.
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms contact your doctor.
Tragically, after undergoing multiple operations to try and remove the bacteria, Lauren found out she was going to lose her leg after overhearing a nurse.
Little did she know that just days later, she'd have her right leg amputated from the knee down due to Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS). "'I came to and I could just hear pounding on the door and someone saying 'police, police, open up".
"I just kept crying and screaming and wanting my mum".
"Toxic Shock Syndrome cost me my leg, but, years later, I have since dedicated myself to raising awareness about TSS prevention", she wrote.
"I couldn't do that to him", she said.