But a fire department in OR has a scary warning for those who depend on supplemental heat: Stay safe and don't use a power strip, KATU reported.
Umatilla County Fire District #1 shared a picture on their Facebook that shows a melted power strip. According to fire officials, "These units are not created to handle the high current flow needed for a space heater and can overheat or even catch fire due to the added energy flow".
Of course, with the weather getting colder, people are bringing out their space heaters but it can melt a power strip if plugged in.
Numerous safety rules for space heater-use are widely known, but one rule that is getting new attention after several fires - some of them fatal - is how and where space heaters should be plugged in. The agency says that portable electric heaters cause 1,100 fires per year, resulting in about 50 deaths, dozens of injuries and millions of dollars in property loss.
The department is also warning citizens not to overload outlets by plugging in multiple extension cords together.
The Electrical Safety Foundation Safety Foundation warns that space heaters should be plugged directly into a wall outlet. "Make sure there's a space at least a minimum of three feet around that space heater".
"You should definitely not use an extension cord or power strip, which could easily overheat", she told GoodHousekeeping.com.
Never leave a space heater unattended.
Turn space heaters off and unplug them when you go to bed or leave the room. Never place heaters on cabinets, tables, furniture, or carpet, which can overheat and start a fire.
Place space heaters on level, flat surfaces.