In a statement issued in Maiduguri, Brig-General Sani Usman, the Director, Army Public Relations, said that the troops killed the insurgents in an ambush on Monday at Sabsawa while trying to cross into Tangos area.
Mr. Ibrahim has now been replaced by Rogers Nicholas, also a major general.
"Meanwhile, troops of 202 Battalion, Sector 1, Operation Lafiya Dole, in the early hours of Monday, ambushed unsuspecting Boko Haram terrorists along Sabsawa axis. I can confirm the appointment".
Military sources said the new Theatre Commander, who was the Chief of Logistics at Army Headquarters, in Abuja, until his redeployment, would be the fifth commander of the operation to end Boko Haram insurgency in the northeast.
Our correspondent learnt that the army's high command was not pleased with the prosecution of the war against insurgency in the North-East, which had lately led to attacks on military bases, the most recent being in the Magumeri Local Government Area of Borno State. He also served as the commander of the special security task force (operation safe haven) in Jos.
He takes over from major general Ibrahim Attahiru, who has been redeployed to Abuja as deputy chief of policy and plans.
Months after the army chief had ordered the capture of Shekau, the sect, using four female suicide bombers, attacked Muna Gari, a suburb of Maiduguri, killing about 14 persons.
A recent attack was carried out in Biu, Borno state, where two suicide bombers detonated their explosives in a market, killing about 18 people.
The police in Borno had said 53 others were injured and had been evacuated to the medical facility.